Whey protein is without a doubt the most popular supplement among athletes, bodybuilders and regular gym goers. Not only is it one of the most researched supplements around but also the most bio-available sources of protein as it contains all 9 essential amino acids, thus making it a staple in everyone’s supplement program.
Whey is the by-product of milk during curding; it makes up 20% of the protein content with the other 80% coming from casein.
Table of Contents
- 1 Types of whey protein
- 2 Why supplement with whey protein?
- 3 When is the best time to take whey protein?
- 4 Top 5 Whey Protein Powders for 2019 – 2020:
- 4.1 1. ProteinSeries 100% Grass-Fed – 9.6/10
- 4.2 2. O.N. Gold Standard Whey 9.4/10
- 4.3 3. BSN Snytha-6 – 9.3/10
- 4.4 4. MuscleTech Phase 8 – 9.2/10
- 4.5 5. MusclePharm Combat Powder – 9.1/10
- 4.6 (Worth Mentioning) BioTrust – 8.5/10
Types of whey protein
Whey Protein Concentrate – this is produced through ultra-filtration and refers to whey proteins which contain less than 90% concentration, the other 10% coming from fats, minerals and lactose.
Whey Protein Isolate – produced via numerous filtration techniques ensuring the removal of the majority of lactose and a greater quantity of protein (above 90%).
Whey Protein Hydrolysates — produced via enzymatic hydrolysis of either concentrates or isolates. Through this process the peptide bonds are separated resulting in a reduced digestion time.
Why supplement with whey protein?
Amino acids are the “building blocks” of protein and proteins are the “building blocks” of muscle tissue; aminos are stored within the muscles. Amino acids perform a variety of functions including energy production, metabolism, cardio function etc.
The amino acid L-Leucine (this stimulates the mTOR pathway which regulates muscle protein synthesis) is predominantly found in whey therefore making the supplement invaluable to those looking to increase muscle mass and recovery.
When is the best time to take whey protein?
Whey protein digests quite rapidly (research suggests within 30minutes) therefore making it an ideal post workout supplement so that your body can start to use the proteins for repair/recovery.
It can also be used as a meal replacement, we all know it’s difficult to achieve our daily protein requirements and that’s where whey helps immensely – it mixes easily in water, digests quickly and doesn’t leave you feeling full! If however, you’d prefer to slow down the digestion you may want to consider mixing it with some fats like fish oil capsule or peanut butter.
Top 5 Whey Protein Powders for 2019 – 2020:
1. ProteinSeries 100% Grass-Fed – 9.6/10
- Pure New Zealand Whey
- Highest Protein-by-weight Protein
- Zero Artificial Sweeteners
- No Preservatives
- No Artificial Coloring
- Gluten Free
- 100% Grass-fed
- Zero Carbohydrates
- 11% Off Coupon Code: SYN11
- 2 flavors to choose from
- Only available at: www.TransparentLabs.com
Save 11% Transparent Labs Coupon: SYN11
*10% off your order use coupon code: SYN10
ProteinSeries 100% Grass-Fed Whey Isolate Review:
TransparentLabs created a protein powder that is of the highest quality and cleanest quality of protein available on the market today. While many other whey products come from questionable sources, ProteinSeries comes from New Zealand and is made from 100% grass-fed cows. It contains one of the industry’s highest protein-by-weight ratios at 88% (28 grams protein per 32 gram scoop)! Most other protein supplements are around 50%.
If you’re looking for a super sweet candy-like tasting whey protein supplement with tons of awful artificial sweeteners and preservatives, then look for another product. This ProteinSeries 100% Grass-fed protein is a top-of-the-line protein product designed to fuel your muscles with the cleanest whey protein available. With zero sweeteners, preservatives, and artificial coloring, your body and muscles will thank you after downing a shake of this.
>> Learn more about ProteinSeries 100% at: www.TransparentLabs.com
>> Also, for 10% off your order use coupon code: SYN10
2. O.N. Gold Standard Whey 9.4/10
- Mixes Well
- Fast absorption due to thin consistency
- Great Taste
- Good Recovery
- No bloating
- Lasted Long Enough
- Some flavors take getting used to
- Very thin consistency – won’t keep you full
Gold Standard Whey Review:
Optimum Nutrition’s Gold Standard Whey is definitely one of our favourites. It offers 24g of protein per serving and the key source is from whey protein isolate, one of the purest forms of whey protein.
The generic flavors like vanilla, milk chocolate and strawberry taste amazing, however the more adventurous flavors take some getting used to.
Gold Standard mixes extremely well in water, the consistency is exactly that of water. This means that the absorption of protein would be at a higher rate and will NOT leave you bloated. Another advantage of superior mixability is that you can add this to your other meals such as protein porridge, protein brownies, cookies etc. and it will not leave a chalky texture.
3. BSN Snytha-6 – 9.3/10
- Great Taste
- Good Value
- Mixes very well
- Builds muscle
- Not a lot of servings per container
Syntha-6 is more than your regular protein powder, due to it’s sustained time released protein blend, carbs and fats we’d consider classing this as a meal replacement. It does however offer a significant amount of protein – 22 grams per serving from quality sources, hence why we’ve included it here.
The blend of proteins is from whey, casein, milk protein isolate, egg albumin and glutamine peptides. As Syntha-6 is quite filling, this may suggest that the level of slow release protein may be significant.
Syntha-6 also packs 5 grams of fiber per serving, and still manages to be a low-carb shake with only 13g in total. Alongside this, there is 6 grams of fat per serving from medium-chain trigylcerides – known as the “fat-burning fats”.
Given the diverse range of ingredients in Syntha-6 it’s fair to say it’s quite versatile in its’ uses – meal replacement, pre or post workout, even before bed.
4. MuscleTech Phase 8 – 9.2/10
- 6 different types of protein
- Added BCAAs for better absorption of protein
- Digestive enzymes
- Tastes great
- Higher caloric value per serve than some competitors.
Phase 8 Review:
A protein blend quite similar to Combat in that it contains proteins which absorb at different rates and has added BCAA’s (for the same reason). The absorption of protein can last up to 8 hours, pretty obviously given the name “Phase8”. Post workout you’ll take the benefits of whey protein and have an instant release of protein, and over the next 8 hours the milk and egg proteins will slowly absorb into the bloodstream.
Phase8 contains 6 protein types (Combat has 5) they are: Whey concentrate, Whey isolate, Micellar Caseinate, Hydrolyzed Whey isolate, Calcium Caseinate and Milk protein concentrate.
It’s slightly higher in calories however if your meals are planned accordingly then it shouldn’t really cause any unwanted weight gain.
5. MusclePharm Combat Powder – 9.1/10
- Builds lean mass
- Good value
- Amazing taste
- Strength gains
- Doesn’t mix well
- Some flavors don’t taste good
Combat Powder Review:
MusclePharm’s Combat Powder also contains a times release protein mix from Whey isolates and concentrates, Egg Albumen and Miscellar Casein. With these in place you can slowly feed your body protein for up to 8 hours.
In addition to the different forms of protein, MusclePharm have also added Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAA’s). BCAA’s help to mobilize protein to where it’s needed the most and stimulate the absorption.
(Worth Mentioning) BioTrust – 8.5/10
- Extremely high protein to carb ratio
- High protein quality
- No sudden rise in insulin
- 100% all natural ingredients
- Tastes very good for not having any artificial sweeteners
- 8 grams carbs, 25 mg cholesterol
- Super high price-per-serving
- Way too expensive
BioTrust’s Low Carb protein powder is 100% all natural supplement, meaning that there is no artificial products like sweeteners, flavourings or hormones.
BioTrust has 24g of protein per serving coming from Micellar Casein, Whey Isolate, Milk Protein Concentrate and Whey Protein Concentrate. These proteins combined mean that the absorption time is long lasting, keeping you satisfied for longer (through milk and casein) but also utilizing the whey for quick absorption post-workout.
What’s also great is that there are only 4g of carbs per serving, 3 of which comes from fibre and only 1g of sugar, perfect for those who are watching their carbohydrate intake. With this protein powder you don’t have to worry about a sudden rise in insulin from excessive carbs.
It contains Prohydrolase Enzyme Blend which has been shown to at least double your protein absorption.
This concludes our Top 5 Whey Protein Powders to take in 2019 – 2020. Hopefully it gave you enough information to make an educated choice for your next protein powder.
>> Learn more about ProteinSeries 100% at: www.TransparentLabs.com
Also, see our top 5 testosterone supplements to build 10+ pounds of muscle here.