What Is Ginseng and How Does It Effect Testosterone?
The type of Ginseng (which is an herb) associated with testosterone boosting is the Red Korean Ginseng. It is also referred to as the Panax Ginseng. (AnabolicMen) It has been claimed to have a wide array of uses, such as:
- To enhance memory and thought levels
- May improve lung function and symptoms of COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Improves erectile quality
- Lowers blood sugar in people with type 2 diabetes
- Allows for longer periods of intercourse
Ginseng contains Nitric Oxide. Nitric Oxide causes your arteries to widen, which allows your blood to flow more freely. It also relaxes the penile arteries and promotes blood flow in that region. This blood flow improves erectile quality greatly. Better erectile quality also signals a higher level of testosterone being produced. (PeakTestosterone).
Using Ginseng for Sexual Dysfunctions and Deficiencies
When males age, their testosterone levels will begin to steadily decline naturally. However, when testosterone levels fall below approximately 300ng/dL, it is then known as a condition called hypogonadism. Hypogonadism can cause sexual dysfunctions and deficiencies such as:
- The inability to maintain erections
- Diminished Erectile Quality
- A decrease in libido (sex drive)
Thousands upon thousands of men have experienced or will experience this problem, and it is quickly becoming a commonly reported occurrence. There are many testosterone replacement therapies such as:
- Oral pills
Though these methods are commonly used, they are anabolic steroids. Anabolic steroids are made from chemicals- meaning they are not natural. Because of this, these methods have serious, sometimes irreversible side effects. Ginseng is a naturally grown herb, and it naturally drives your body to produce testosterone by natural means. Many men claim to have seen results such as:
- Increased libido
- Elevated levels of testosterone
- Extended duration of intercourse
- Enhanced quality of erections
Using Ginseng to Build Muscle Mass
Ginseng naturally causes your body to create more testosterone. The increase of testosterone will promote muscle mass, and it will help your develop and shape your muscles quicker. Ginseng has also been claimed to raise your overall energy level (thus why ginseng is used in energy drinks). The excess of energy will help you to not only endure an extensive workout, but will also quicken your recovery period afterwards.
Since ginseng is a naturally grown herb, it does not have many side effects in itself. Do not use ginseng if you are pregnant or likely to become pregnant, as studies have found to cause birth defects in animals. Do not breastfeed when taking this supplement; it is unknown what effects ginseng may have on breast milk. Do not take this supplement if you have a bleeding condition, hormone-sensitive condition, or an auto-immune disease. The most common side effect is insomnia. Other less common side effects may include:
- Breast pain
- High or low blood pressure
- Increased heart rate
- Loss of appetite
- Menstrual problems
- Mood changes
- Vaginal Bleeding
How Do I Use Ginseng?
Ginseng is available in many different forms:
- It is available in oral pill form. Dosages are usually listed on the product.
- It is available in syrup form. If you have a hard time swallowing oral capsules, you may prefer to use a syrup form. Once again, dosage should be labeled on the product packaging.
- It can be brewed in a tea form.
- Ginseng extract is available, and can be mixed into liquids.
If you are unsure about dosages, do not hesitate to call your doctor and ask for his or her recommended dosage! (Adaptogens)
What’s the Bottom Line?
The bottom line is Ginseng is an effective testosterone booster. It has had many studies conclude it is effective for strengthening erections and promoting testosterone growth.